Coq au Vin
8 chicken thighs – skin on, bone in
1 bottle of red wine
2 bay leaves
Sprigs of fresh thyme
20 small button onions
250g button mushrooms
250g diced bacon
1 litre chicken stock
50g tomato puree
Salt and pepper
1. Sauté the chicken thighs until brown in oil and butter.
2. Place in a casserole dish. In the same pan sauté the onions, mushrooms and bacon till brown. Add to the chicken.
3. Sprinkle flour over the chicken, add seasoning, bay leaves, thyme and rub together until well mixed.
4. Add tomato puree, chicken stock, red wine and cover with greaseproof paper and a lid or tinfoil.
5. Cook at 180ºC for 20 mins and then 160ºC for 30 mins.
6. Serve with toasted croutons spread with chicken liver pate or parfait.
Sprinkle with finely chopped parsley and serve.
In the summer serve with a crisp green salad and in the colder months a nice mound of mashed potato.